- 1 1/3 pounds ground sirloin, 90 percent lean ground beef
- 1 slice white bread, spread with softened butter, then cut into small cubes
- 1/8 cup (a splash) milk
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons grill seasoning blend, or coarse salt and black pepper combined
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 rounded tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped, reserve 1/4 amount
- 3-Condiment Pan Gravy: (recipe to follow making of patties)
Place meat in a large mixing bowl and create a well in the center of the meat. Fill the well with the bread cubes and dampen them with a splash of milk. Pour 1 beaten egg over bread and add seasoning or salt and pepper, allspice, tomato paste and onion to the bowl.
Combine the meat, bread and grill seasoning or salt and pepper and form mixture into 4 large oval patties 3/4-inch thick. Pan fry meatloaf patties in a nonstick skillet over medium high heat 7 minutes on each side under a loose tin foil tent. The tent will reflect heat and allow the steam to escape the pan. Remove meat loaf patties to a platter and return pan to heat.
**3-Condiment Pan Gravy:**
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 medium onion, finely chopped, reserved from meatloaf mixture
2 tablespoons (a handful) all-purpose flour
1 to 1 1/2 cups beef stock
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 rounded teaspoon spicy brown mustard
1 tablespoon steak sauce
Reduce heat to medium and add butter and onion to your skillet. Cook the onion 2 minutes and sprinkle pan with flour. Cook flour 1 minute and whisk in 1 cup beef stock. Bring broth to a bubble. If gravy is too thick, thin with additional stock. Stir in condiments and remove gravy from heat.
Slice meatloaf patties and drizzle with gravy. Pile smashed potatoes (see Vegetables for recipe) along side and make a well in the center for sour cream or gravy. Serve meatloaf and smashed potatoes with baby carrots, or with a tossed salad dressed with oil and vinegar.Share This: